For 12 Serves
- 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes (1½-inch or so in thickness)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 15 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lemons or limes, juice of
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1½-inch pieces
In a small bowl, combine the paprika, thyme, nutmeg, cardamom, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Generously coat the chicken with the spices.
Place the chicken cubes in a deep dish with the sliced yellow onions. Combine the minced garlic and lemon juice and add them to the chicken dish. Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss the chicken to make sure it’s well-coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours (if you don’t have the time to marinate, allow the chicken about 30 minutes or so at room temperature before grilling).
A few minutes before grilling, thread the chicken cubes, green peppers, red peppers and red onion onto wood skewers (skewers must be soaked in water for at least 1 hour before using).
Lightly oil and heat a gas grill or griddle to medium-high heat. When ready, grill the chicken kabobs, turning occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and juices run dry (internal temperature should register 165 degrees F.)
Serve chicken kabobs with warm pita and tahini sauce with other bright sides and salads.