For 10 serves
- ¼ sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ pounds pickling cucumbers, washed, cut into ¼ inch-thick rounds (about 7-8 cucumbers)
- 1 big bunch of fresh dill
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1½ cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup distilled water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 quart size Mason jars with lid (or other heat proof containers with tight fitting lid)
Divide the sliced onion between mason jars. Pack cucumbers in jars. Top each jar with half of the dill and 2 garlic cloves each.
Using a mortar and pestle (or resealable plastic bag and mallet) crush the mustard seeds and peppercorns together.
Place the crushed spices in a saucepan along with vinegar, water, sugar and salt.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. When sugar is dissolved, ladle mixture evenly over cucumbers.
Taking care to evenly disperse the seeds and peppercorns among each jar. Make sure all your cucumbers are completely covered in liquid.
Leave uncovered on the counter for 30 mins. After the brine has had a chance to cool, cover the jars with tight fitting lids, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Can be stored in the refrigerator, with a tight fitting lid for up to 2 weeks.