For 6 persons
- 1lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 300g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 bunches parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package of filo pastry sheets, properly thawed. Unroll and place them between two slightly damp kitchen cloths.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if needed
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Before you begin mixing the filling, be sure the spinach is very well drained, and squeeze out any excess liquid by hand.
In a mixing bowl, add the spinach, feta cheese, eggs, parsley, dill, onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, pepper and salt, stir the until all ingredients are well-combined.
Prepare a baking dish. Brush the olive oil evenly.
Line the baking dish with two sheets of filo sheet letting them cover the sides of the dish. Brush with olive oil.
Add two more sheets with the same way, and brush with olive oil. Repeat 3 times.
Now, evenly spread the spinach and feta filling on the filo sheet. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
Continue to layer the filo sheets, repeat 2 times.
Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few drops of water.
Fold the excess flaps from the sides. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil.
Bake in the 160°C heated-oven for 1 hour, or until the filo sheet is crisp and golden brown.
Remove from the oven. Finish cutting into squares and serve.